At Peak Performance & Athletics we offer members a stand-up booth for those looking for a quick, no-fuss blast of sunshine! Our booth is thoroughly serviced and sanitized after each visit and bulbs are changed frequently to ensure optimum results and satisfied tanners. We offer awesome tanning products conveniently on site in our pro shop.
The tanning booth is available by walk-in or by appointment. Appointments may be made by stopping by the club check-in desk on your next visit or by calling us direct at 204-727-7016
We carry a variety of quality indoor tanning lotions for the sole purpose of helping you achieve a healthy vibrant tan while rejuvenating and keeping your skin looking younger than ever.
Importance of Tanning Lotion
While tanning lotions are not mandatory for indoor tanning, most tanning lotions have important vitamins and ingredients to help you achieve a base tan and to extend the life of your tan. People who avoid using tanning products will not get the extra moisture or a stable tan since tanning tends to dry the skin; they will lose their tan more quickly between sessions, due to dry skin flaking away. Tanning lotions are important for three reasons:
- 1. Hydration: It is necessary that skin be hydrated sufficiently to reach and maintain the desired tan. Dry, neglected skin reflects UV light, not allowing it to tan underneath. It also exfoliates faster, causing the tan to fade quickly.
- 2. Nutrition: The natural vitamins in many lotions or creams are fundamental to the skin's appearance and to its ability to tan. Along with other hydrating properties, these vitamins replenish the necessary nutrition to skin, promoting cell regeneration and oxygenation for greatly improved tanning results.
- 3. Oxygenation: Oxygen fuels all skin cell functions, thereby accelerating the tanning process. A good lotion or cream containing vitamins and botanical oil formulas help achieve deep oxygenation to stimulate melanin production for the best tan possible.
Limitations of Use
It is not a good Idea to use these types of tanning lotions outside of a tanning bed. Indoor tanning lotions usually don't contain SPF. You will have no sun protection outdoors. Outdoor UV rays can vary daily even hourly in intensity. It is recommended that you use a SPF lotion while tanning outdoors. Outdoor tanning lotions are not recommended for indoor use, as they can cause a film on the acrylic on a tanning bed and inhibit the tanning process.
What are the benefits of indoor tanning?
- 1. Sunlight is essential to all life on earth biologically and psychologically. Tanning can be most therapeutic and can give the body a boost. This is because tanned skin looks good, looks healthier, and the psychological effect of this makes you feel good. When you feel good, you feel more alive, more confident, more self-assured, and better prepared to take on life's challenges.
- 2. UV-B rays are the main source of Vitamin D for our bodies, which helps to promote healthy bones and the absorption of calcium and phosphorous in the body.
- 3. 70% of patients with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) show improvement after UV treatment, the only known cure for the "winter blues".
- 4. Tanned skin is your body's natural defense against the sun. By gradually getting a tan indoors first, you can pre-condition your skin so you can spend more time in the outdoor sun.
Is indoor tanning safe?
Indoor tanning is a controlled environment, which allows you to gradually build your tan thereby increasing your natural SPF. The external factors of tanning outside (time of year and day, altitude, cloud coverage, pollutants, reflective surfaces) are variable and can not be controlled or predicted, which increases your risk of overexposure. You should not tan both indoors and outdoors within a 24 hour period. If you do both on the same day you will overexpose your skin.
How long do I go in for?
The first time in a tanning bed can be anywhere from 5-15 minutes, depending on your skin type. Even if you've tanned elsewhere you should follow the exposure time and schedule recommended by our staff as many studios have different equipment and lamps.
How long before I see results?
This depends on your skin type. Many skin types will show a color change after the 2nd or 3rd session. Most can achieve a beautiful tan after about 8-10 full sessions.
How often should I tan?
A 24-hour time period should pass between tanning sessions. Pigmentation and/or over-exposure may not be fully visible for 12-24 hours after your original session. Two tanning sessions within this 24-hour period could result in an unintentional burn.
Should I wear protective eyewear when tanning indoors?
Yes! The law requires it. They are necessary to protect your eyes from UV light that penetrates even through closed eyelids. The UV rays can damage the cornea and retina and lead to such things as cataracts, night vision and color loss, and corneal burns. Goggles are mandatory.
Can I tan all year long?
Moderation is key. You may tan throughout the year if you are taking care not to overexpose your skin at any time. You should always be aware of the dangers of overexposure, as it may lead to chronic skin damage. Take precautions not to indoor and outdoor tan on the same day, wear sunscreen outside and always allow a 24-hour time period to lapse between tanning sessions.
Can I tan if I am pregnant?
There is no proven danger from moderate use of indoor tanning equipment. However, because some women are very sensitive to the heat generated by indoor tanning units, it is wise to pay attention to this. Please consult your physician before tanning.
Should I take a shower before or after I tan?
It does not matter. Just remember moist skin tans better and looks better. Always use an accelerator after you shower and before you tan. Exception: when using skin stimulating products (such as a tingle or cooling lotion), you should wait 30 minutes to 1 hour after tanning to shower. Showering directly after will intensify the heat and redness from the product.
What can I expect on first appointment?
Please arrive 5 minutes before your tanning appointment to fill out a consent form with some questions about you and your skin type. Our smart tan certified staff will then show you how to use the tanning bed and ensure that you are equipped with protective eyewear (mandatory), indoor tanning lotion and answer any questions you may have about the tanning process. By following our exposure recommendations, you will achieve maximum results with little risk of overexposure.